Thursday, May 15, 2008

Is This Good For My Children?

It is unbelievably hard to separate the emotional from the rational in a divorce especially when there is adultery or other perceived deceptions involved. Often times when hurt feelings are involved a normal rational person becomes irrational and does and/or says things which can potentially hurt them in a custody battle. Whether that behavior is moving out of the marital home or arguing and fighting in front of the children, such conflict can hurt you in a custody battle. I always have the same advice for all of my clients when these issues come up and that is to think to yourself "will this help me get custody with my children" if the answer to that question is no, you shouldn't do or say what you want to say or do. While this is easier said than done, it is important to put your children first and to not act on emotion. Acting emotionally in a divorce does nothing but prolong the process and potentially hurt your chances of obtaining custody of your children.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ive read this topic for some blogs. But I think this is more informative.

Anonymous said...

Christine,
You are so right, if people would just think of the children involved instead of their own ego, everything would turn out for the best. Very good post and great website. I'm a Michigan Family Law Attorney and I really enjoyed reading your blog. It was very informative.